Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson memories

So, of course, like the rest of the world, I have been remembering Michael Jackson. Even despite all of his crazy issues in the past few years, he has to be one of the most talented performers ever. So I thought I would share a few of my favorite memories of his music.

When thriller came out, I would stay up late every night to hear it played on KUBE's "Top Ten at Ten". I would keep the radio on really low so mom didn't know I was still up. I would get freaked out by it every night though because I was in my bed with all of the lights off.

I loved going in to Amy's room to look at all of her Michael Jackson posters. And I remember Amy saying that she thought he was really cute, but I wasn't supposed to tell mom because she might not approve.

I remember watching the grammys and holding my breath because I wanted Michael Jackson to win so bad. He usually did.

I remember when the "Black or White" video came out on public tv - we all anxiously awaited it and watched it together.



We Are the World - need I say more? Who didn't have that entire song memorized, with all the different singer's voices too?

Corban has been watching "Free Willy" - I picked up the video at a thrift store. The first time he saw it he said, "Mom, I really love the music on this movie" and tells me that every time he watches it. The song sticks in my head for days afterward, but I don't really mind. It makes me smile because Corban will have a little bit of Michael Jackson magic in his childhood memories, just like I did.







So, what are YOUR favorite memories? I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

Puerto Rican Powerhouse said...

I remember watching that one movie that he put out with some of his songs. I cant remember the name of it but Mike will surely remember cause he watched it with me a hundred times. We always quoted parts of it like, "Would you autograph my belly?!" and, "Its just a plug!".

Another favorite memory was when I was at Newport Heights. I think it was for a Tom Sawyer play and Mom made up a dance for me and some other people and we wore black outfits and white gloves and we had flashlights in each hand. She put a black light on us with the lights off and we danced a graveyard scene to Thriller. The crowd went wild in every performance of coarse.