Sunday, June 28, 2009

Memories of Michael Jackson from Amy



As you all know, Michael Jackson was the only singer/group that I actually went out and bought posters for, had pins on my jean's jacket about, etc. I really thought and still think Michael Jackson was one of the most talented people to ever hit the stage. He really had it all: poise, a voice, dance, a passion for the performance, drive, practice ethic, creative skills, writing ability, and people around him who believed in his gifts. I know he was weird, I knew he was weird when I was young. I just hoped for the best for him.

I think in all of the hubub, one of the best things I heard was Gladys Knight speaking about him, and how blown out of the water they were when she was performing next to the Jackson 5. The "pips" and she went into the other room to see if what they were hearing was a recording, but it was just the family practicing. She said they were amazing. She also said "where much is given, much is expected", and she thought he gave us a lot, and we need to give, too. She said how heartbroken she was when she would walk into a room that was dark, and it looked as if there was no one there. She would walk in, and his little voice would ask her a question like, "what is it like to go to a baseball game?" She realized how strange his world was. She said he was always told that all those people will hurt you, etc. She was sad that he lived like that. She also said that she wished people would just leave his challenges alone. She said that everyone has difficulties, and he has and will pay for his mistakes. She just wanted him to be celebrated for his accomplishments, which, no matter what anyone says about him, are really pretty unique and phenominal.

I remember listening to his music and enjoying it so much. Some of his later music I didn't like, but he went through phases in life, just like we all do, but his were only his, I don't think anyone in the world will ever have a life like his again. Much of that showed in his music and dance.

On that note... Michael could dance! I don't think anyone can dispute his talent for dance. He not only had a natural ability toward it, but he practiced relentlessly. I have read a lot over the years, and that is well documented. He would practice for hours on end, watching others, and learning how to put it into his muscle memory. That is some serious drive. He was also very innovative with his movements. Some I never cared for, and we all know what those are, but looking past that, he really was an illusionist because he could make his body shape and morph into dancing these amazing moves that wowed every onlooker.

I remember listening to his tapes and records in my room, and he was all over my wall on posters. Michelle Mains and I were the known Michael Jackson fans at our Junior High School. (the Ringdall Rams) We would wear the jeans jackets and pins, and fight for 1st chair in the flute section every few months. I thought he looked pretty good then, before all the plastic surgery and skin/hair changes. He and his whole family were very good looking people, and they all had talent, but no one had more than Michael.

I remember spending $50 for a ticket to his concert and being so disappointed that he got sick and couldn't perform in Seattle. That was a real bummer, but I did see Janet in her "rhythm tour" before she went a little loony-bins herself, and I have to say I have less respect for her now than ever. However, the concert was amazing, and the dancing was unbeleivable. Her choreographer was really something, and everyone was presice and interesting. I had a great time with Christina Chapman that night.

I loved Michael's music, his skill, and I read more about his life than any other performer. I was fascinated, but mostly (I know this is going to sound strange) I wanted him to be able to hear about the gospel because I thought that was the one thing that might help him feel better in his life.

I am surprised at how sad I was to hear of his passing. I wanted him to be able to perform one last time, but it didn't happen. I had a lot of enjoyment listening to his music, and it was a huge part of my younger teenage years. He really knew how encourage people to get up and dance. I liked dancing, and I remember dancing in my room to his music, trying my own new moves many times!

Thanks, Liz for opening up the conversation. It is the end of an era. I still like many of the songs, one of my favorite being, "Man in the Mirror". He had such a way of teaching. It was not always about topics we (fortunately) could relate to, but there are glimmors of a really good heart in there, and I wish him well.

Amy

No comments: